This is my current favourite Dinner Recipe. A perfect comfort food. We probably eat it twice a week these days- it is easy and delicious and nutritious. Plus, my son is going through a picky eating phase, and this is one the foods that he likes and will eat a lot of (after he picks out the peas- he loves them fresh but apparently not cooked). As with most of our dinner recipes, this is a super flexible meal. If you have mushrooms, add mushrooms. If you don’t have peppers, then don’t add peppers. Work with what you have.
- ½ onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- Handful of mushrooms, diced
- ½ pepper, diced
- 1-2 cups of peas
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced OR 1-2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ can of canned coconut milk (or 1 small can of coconut cream)
- 1 ½ cups of vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ¼ cup nutritional yeast
- Brown rice Noodles or noodle of choice (I usually use about 3/4 of a 454g bag of pasta, but if I make the whole package then I will just add a bit more of the pasta water into the sauce when combining it all at the end).
– Place water into large pot with generous amount of salt and bring to a boil while working on remaining steps. But do not add pasta into the water yet.
– On a large frying pan over med-high heat, cook onions, celery and garlic until fragrant and slightly tender (just 1-2 minutes).
– Add coconut milk and vegetable broth to pan and stir until mixed. Bring to a boil. – Add in mushrooms, pepper, peas, salt and pepper and continue to boil for 1-2 minutes, then reduce to a simmer.
– While sauce is simmering, add pasta noodles to boiling water and set timer for 2 minutes less than what the package directs you.
– Once timer goes off, bring sauce to a boil again and add noodles directly into the pan using a pasta ladle, including bits of the pasta water (don’t shake the ladle to get rid of the water, just scoop it out as fast as you can so that the water comes with the noodles). Once all noodles are covered in sauce, reduce to medium-low heat and stir continuously for 1 minute.
– Sprinkle with nutritional yeast and stir until melted into pasta. Turn heat off and allow to sit 1-2 minutes before serving.